Friday, July 9, 2010

Nurseroffice? Officery?

We've been nesting. Carving out some space for The Dude in our loft office. Mike moved his workspace downstairs, so my desk is up there (to the left of my green bag, just out of frame) with what will be the Nurseroffice / Officery. The shelves have been paired down, bins purged, and drawers sorted (including our entire file cabinet). A massive effort with a very large "shred" pile leftover. 
 
The goal was to make the catch-all office storage space feel more streamlined and zen. Less visible clutter (note the white fronted cabinet doors--I covered the frosted glass to hide the shadowy contents).

Not sure how long we'll keep the guest bed, but as long as we can stand it. It's lovingly covered with the green and white striped bedspread. Hoping to get a cozy glider chair to reward my nursing efforts...

We swapped the guest bed mattress with the two low cabinets to create a changing station that wasn't under the hanging cabinets (read: perhaps questionably earthquake safe...no place for baby). I made the blue checkered runner a while back. That's an old map of Canada covering the junction box. Melly assures us that this space is peaceful and comforting. Her opinion matters. What a helpful girl.
I made a fun mobile from a simple alligator clip thingy and some swallows I found online. This highlights the "soft green / blue / with a pop of orange" color palette and the bird theme I'm working towards up here. Though I may save these birds for a few months and clip in some contrasty black and white bits if I get ambitious.
I also made the little cardboard birdhouse from a simple kit. The birds were Granny's, I'm so happy they've been integrated. Feels like a little bit of her spirit is present.
Next to the birdhouse are my three mom generations. Me as a little girl with blond(!) hair, a painting Granny did of my mom and I out for an autumn walk in New England, and a photo of the three of us few years ago gazing into a beam of sunshine in Worthington.

More to come as it progresses...stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. looking good! i love the little bird houses and the pics of you with your mom and grandma.

    ReplyDelete