Tuesday, September 21, 2010

[squash - week 31]

20 lbs. of Slow and Dumb

Yep. It's official, I've reached the 20 lb. mark. Feeling like I'm carrying a really heavy backpack on my front and I can't ever take it off. I am slowing and growing more tired. My legs and feet are confused and kind of pissed about the extra workload. Hoping they won't go on strike. Forgetting something upstairs now gives me significant pause, "How much to I REALLY need my wallet? Is it worth another trip upstairs?" Conveniently enough, I'm really forgetful. Like stupid forgetful. And scatterbrained, yet fiercely organized. It's a weird mix.

I have always had this mental image of my brain like a large empty airplane hangar full of 4-drawer file cabinets. That's where all my memories are stored. In the center there's a large table where things that are pending filing (my short term memory) or things that are pulled from the cabinets (What's the name of that movie with that dude with the hair?) are stacked temporarily. 

Pregnant brain feels like someone (ahem, baby...) has pulled out one of those retractable walls, like in my old gymnasium, and rendered half of the hangar inaccessible. There are things that I'm SURE I know or knew, but there's no way to reach them. Being pregnant is like being a little wasted and stupid. I'm just saying, this baby better be a genius for all the brain cells he's pillaged.

However, my hair is fantastic. My fingernails are perfect. I don't have giant stretch marks so far. I can sleep through the night even after getting up to pee twice. I'm not on bed rest. My husband is smart enough for both of us. I can eat just about anything and not feel guilty. Burger with guacamole and bacon? Yep. Side of onion rings? You bet. Lemonade? Of course. Is there any pie? This isn't so bad...



Contractions
I'm having them. Braxton Hicks contractions that is. They're like "practice" contractions. Think of it like going on short training runs before a marathon. Periodically my belly seizes up like a rock. The whole uterus flexes for about 30 seconds to 2 minutes. It doesn't hurt for now. I'm told to keep track of them and make sure they don't get TOO rhythmic and close together or it's pre-term labor. More than 4 in an hour means I should call the doc to get checked out. 

So far I'm having about 10 per day. Sometimes 4 in a 1.5 hour time frame. So it's close! Just for the record, I'm guessing that "The Dude" might show squishy little face a bit early. We'll see, but I'm hoping against that. At least let us get past the 34 week mark to minimize any health issues... fingers and toes crossed for us please.



This is a fun blog with parent and kid re-posed photos.

This is another fun blog from the same source with more re-posed photos


Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment